Verilog conversion to write results to a file?

Dear All,
Is there an easy way to insert a macro inside the myhdl code to generate a verilog conversion to generate data logs to a file.
Like:
Myhdl Verilog
f = open(“log.txt”,“w+”) $fopen(“log.txt”,“w”);
f.write(…) $fwrite(…);
f.close() $fclose(‘log.txt’);
Thanks
Dan

Hi,
What kind of information would you like to log ?
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Like a read/write data sequence in case of not expected returned data.

Rgds,

Dan

In your first message, you talk about conversion but in your last message its seems you talk about simulation.
Can you clarify ?

OK let say I don’t need to generate synthesisable verilog for the part that is doing the logging. A want to create a test-bench verilog which logs results. I this more clear ?

May be but this is a long shot. May be using the ‘verilog_code’ feature can be a quick fix, but so far I didn’t succeed to figure it out. Did someone face the same need ?

If I understand you correctly : From MyHDL, you want to generate a verilog testbench. This verilog test bench, which is simulated with verilog tools, generates log files containing simulation data.
Is this correct ?

Dear DrPi,

Yes correct. So if somebody has an example on how to use ‘verilog_code’ to insert the instruction I need I would take if. If not I will add some marker and do it in post processing.

I am surprised that nobody need this kind of feature.

Rgds, Dan

The standard way is to simulate with MyHDL (you can easily generate log files). When you’re done with your design, you use co-simulation to check the converted design matches the MyHDL design.
But maybe I’m wrong on your needs.

What means standard way ? I guess lots of people here are doing FPGA. We have are doing something with mixed signals in this case you need a way to simulate low level registers access and … .

This is just to answer your curiosity ( take care it killed the cat :slight_smile: ).

Seems nobody has a simple proposal even with ‘verilog_code’ :(.

Rgds, Dan

This is not just a matter of curiosity.
There are two options when someone has a request :

• Stupidly answer the question
  • Understand the need to give a smart answer.

The purpose of my questions is to understand the need.

My stupid answer is : No, it’s not possible.

My smart answer is :
MyHDL is very good at simulation since you can push the limits very far.
You need mixed signal simulation. Why not try with MyHDL ?

You could call ngspice library API from MyHDL for the analogue part. PySpice does this perfectly.
This is just an idea. I have not tested it.

Regards,
Nicolas

Dear Nicolas,

The mixed signal flow is running ( what you suggest works we tried it several years ago :slight_smile: ).

This is not what we do and we do use myhdl which is very handy to generate the test-bench verilog, it does a fine job in doing all the heavy lifting for us. The only touch we would need is to have the test-bench verilog write to a file.

Any way will do it in post-processing ( open, write, close file ).

Thanks for your support.

Rgds, Dan

That’s good news :slight_smile:
Don’t hesitate to share your workflow with other MyHDL users :wink:

Regards,
Nicolas